OB-GYN Medical Malpractice: Common Types of Obstetric or Gynecology Negligence
OB-GYN medical malpractice refers to the failure on the part of an obstetrician or gynecologist to adhere to the accepted standard of care while providing medical care. Obstetricians and gynecologists – commonly referred to as OB-GYNS – are the most frequently sued medical professionals, according to Medscape.
What is Obstetric/Gynecology (OB-GYN) Medical Malpractice?
Any woman can become a victim of OB-GYN medical malpractice when her doctor provides negligent medical care or deviates from the standard of care. Obstetricians deal with pregnancy and childbirth, while gynecologists focus on the female reproductive system.
Negligence on the part of an obstetrician or gynecologist can give rise to a medical malpractice claim. Such malpractice can make a woman infertile or cause serious harm to the mother or baby.
When filing a medical malpractice lawsuit, it is important to identify all liable parties, including the doctors, nurses, hospital staff, and the facility itself. It is vital to speak with an Atlanta medical malpractice lawyer to determine liability in your unique case.
Types of OB-GYN Medical Malpractice
As with any other type of medical negligence, you can sue a healthcare provider for medical malpractice if you can prove that:
- The doctor owed you a duty of care;
- The healthcare provider breached the duty by failing to adhere to the accepted standard of care;
- The breach caused your injury; and
- You suffered significant damages as a result of the malpractice.
Common types of OB-GYN medical malpractice include:
- Misdiagnosis or delayed diagnosis (failure to identify a birth defect or any other health conditions during pregnancy)
- Failure to order or perform a C-section in a timely manner
- Performing an unnecessary surgery or C-section
- Surgical errors during C-sections or hysterectomies
- Administering incorrect medications during pregnancy or childbirth
- Causing brain or organ damage due to asphyxiation
- Failure to recognize fetal distress
- Improper use of forceps
- Failure to properly sterilize tools and equipment
- Negligent administration of anesthesia
- Failure to diagnose breast, ovarian, uterine, or cervical cancer
- Failure to read mammograms, sonograms, and other tests
The above-mentioned types of medical malpractice can lead to birth injuries and serious health conditions, including:
- Shoulder dystocia
- Cerebral Palsy
- Erb’s Palsy
- Broken bones
- Internal bleeding
- Facial paralysis
- Brain damage
- Spinal cord injury
- Soft tissue damage
Why You Need an Atlanta Medical Malpractice Lawyer
Medical errors on the part of an OB-GYN can cause unnecessary and preventable pain and suffering to the mother and her unborn child. If you were hurt due to negligence on the part of your obstetrician or gynecologist, do not hesitate to contact a skilled medical malpractice lawyer in Georgia.
You could be entitled to financial compensation if you or your child was injured due to negligence during pregnancy, labor, childbirth, or gynecologist visit. Here at Carroll Law Firm, our experienced Atlanta medical malpractice lawyer Stacey Carroll has extensive experience handling legal claims filed by women and families who were harmed due to OB-GYN malpractice. Call 404-816-4555 to receive a consultation about your case.